Sunday, May 13, 2012

Book Review - Matched

Matched (Matched, #1)Matched by Ally Condie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The story is somewhat interesting. The universe it is set in is very reminiscent of The Giver. Although it doesn't compare to it because The Giver is a much, much better book. And if you haven't read that one yet, please skip this one and read that one.

However, Matched is certainly a fast, easy, fun, and relatively mindless read. As straight up fluff, I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of young adult romances set in a dystopian future.

That said, the writing isn't terribly great. Decent story, not so decent execution. I think the author is somewhat limited by deciding to write from the main character's point of view only. But that still doesn't excuse some of the bad writing.

The most annoying thing about this book to me was how often characters names are used. Granted Cassia, the main character, is naturally often thinking of Ky (one of the males in the "love triangle"). Or with Ky. Or talking about Ky. Or talking to Ky. But it is okay to occasionally use the word him. Or his. I randomly flipped to page and counted how many times "Ky" appeared on it. 7 times. I have been known to write gay fiction, where the two characters are both males, and I still manage to not have to write one of their names in every single sentence without confusing the reader. Aside from this, think about when you are thinking in your own head about someone else, do you constantly refer to them by name in your head? No, you do not. Perhaps the author just believed her target audience (teen girls) are too unintelligent to remember from one sentence to the next about whom the author is referring to. But I'd give them a bit more credit.

Additionally, many of the characters fall very flat for me. Including the main one. The characterization is very lacking. I know a bit about what she looks like and her interests and obviously every thought that drifts through her head. But I don't know anything about her mannerisms or the way she speaks. And this is true of most of the characters. They feel very one dimensional.

All of that said, still an enjoyable bit of fluff that is quick and easy.

There will be two more books. The second is out in hardcover. But I think I can wait for the paperback for this one. Not worth the cost of a hardcover.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment